Dotneteers.net
All for .net, .net for all!

Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?

VBandi's blog

Syndication

Generic Content

As you probably know, Silverlight 3 was released exactly a month ago. So, is it safe now to work with the new Silverlight 3 features or should you stay with Silverlight 2 for a while to make sure that people with Silverlight installed can view your site without having to upgrade first to SL3?

imageThere is one website that I know of that provides independent data on Flash, Java and Silverlight plugin penetration – it is www.riastats.com. I know it is objective or at least definitely not pro-Microsoft because there has been a heated debate a few months back between the owner of the site and a Microsoft PM on whether riastats.com uses the right methodology… So, I was checking it on a daily basis to see how SL3 is taking off. It took off slowly… then SL3 was put onto Microsoft Update. On pretty much the same day, RiaStats stopped collecting new data, so everybody was in the dark.

Well, Riastats started working again earlier today, so now we have new data from yesterday, and it blew my mind: Silverlight 3 is up at 23%, while Silverlight 2 is down at 8%. So, in general, every third computer or device (including devices like the IPhone for which there is no Silverlight) attached to the internet has some version of Silverlight installed. 1.5% stuck at SL1, 8.25% is at SL2, and the majority has already upgraded to SL3 (23.25%). The big X you see on the picture shows how SL2 installations were upgraded to SL3 in a matter of weeks.

So, what is the answer to whether you can target Silverlight 3 in your projects, or if you should wait and keep your things with SL2 instead? I think it is clear – Go with Silverlight 3!

A quick note about Microsoft Update: it is not the same as Windows Update, although it uses the same infrastructure – it is the update service for all non-Windows MS applications, like Office. Also, automatic update for Silverlight plugins is opt-in, so we can’t blame Microsoft that it has used its OS monopoly to distribute the Silverlight plugin.

A quick note about Riastats.com: the site starts with a Pie Chart, showing Silverlight 3 at 1.5%. Please note that this is a 30 day moving average, so don’t expect it to show any meaningful data for at least a month with regards to SL3 penetration. Use the Line Chart instead to see the diagram on the left.

Posted Aug 11 2009, 10:58 PM by vbandi

Comments

Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say? - VBandi's blog - Dotneteers.net wrote Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say? - VBandi's blog - Dotneteers.net
on Wed, Aug 12 2009 0:13

Pingback from  Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say? - VBandi's blog - Dotneteers.net

David wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Wed, Aug 12 2009 4:21

Go S3.

People with S2 already knows they have to download a plugin to run Silverlight, it won't surprise them.

People without it needs to install something anyway.

Dew Drop – August 12, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop – August 12, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on Wed, Aug 12 2009 14:42

Pingback from  Dew Drop – August 12, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Bart Czernicki wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Wed, Aug 12 2009 23:03

I really like the service RIAstats.com service.  They should provide aggregate info as well and better visualizations.

You have to go with Silverlight 3 for new dev.  Have you tried to get the Silverlight 2 runtime as a download?  Its impossible unlesss you get it from archive sites.  Searching bing, google and even MS downloads all point to Silverlight 3 runtime downloads :)

Chad wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 0:39

The big problem of course, is that total % of users with silverlight installed is still low compared to the competition.

vbandi wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 0:43

Bart: I was looking for a download, too, but coulnd't find it. Luckily now it is not even needed any more, altough there are a few minor backward compatibility bugs that the SL team is working on actively.

Jeff Z wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 16:21

Something is fishy with the numbers from RIAStats.com's numbers.  They aren't the same for the line graph as they are for the pie chart.  In the pie chart the numbers are almost flipped.  Pie chart shows 3.68% for SL3 and 28.66% for SL2.  Line chart shows 23.25% for SL3 and 8.25% for SL2.

Doesn't seem like you can trust these numbers.

vbandi wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 17:24

Jeff: Read my note 2 in the post. The pie chart is a 30 day running average, which is obviously not a valid number until they can gather data for 30 continuous day. Just ignore the pie chart for a month.

Jeff Z wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 19:40

It would help if I read more thuroughly.  Thanks for pointing that out...

vbandi wrote re: Can I jump to Silverlight 3 now? What do the stats say?
on Thu, Aug 13 2009 19:58

No problem, Jeff. :)

ComponentGear.com Feed wrote This Week C9: Win7 API's, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits
on Fri, Aug 14 2009 21:33

This week on C9, Brian and Habib "Runtime" Heydarian review the week's top developer stories

This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | PSP NEWS wrote This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | PSP NEWS
on Fri, Aug 21 2009 2:28

Pingback from  This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | PSP NEWS

This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | CHARGED's Digital Lifestyle at Work or Play wrote This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | CHARGED's Digital Lifestyle at Work or Play
on Tue, Aug 25 2009 8:38

Pingback from  This Week C9: Win7 API’s, Spec# and Boogie, Expression 3 Starter Kits | CHARGED's Digital Lifestyle at Work or Play

Community Blogs wrote Silverlight Cream for August 26, 2009 -- #675
on Thu, Aug 27 2009 7:58

In this Issue: Jonathan van de Veen , Erik Mork , Chris Klug , Robbe Morris , Nick Josevski , Nigel Sampson

The Video Commerce Consortium » Blog Archive » Silverlight vs. Flash - which is best for video commerce? wrote The Video Commerce Consortium » Blog Archive » Silverlight vs. Flash - which is best for video commerce?
on Sat, Aug 29 2009 2:30

Pingback from  The Video Commerce Consortium  » Blog Archive   » Silverlight vs. Flash - which is best for video commerce?