Dotneteers.net
All for .net, .net for all!

Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors

VBandi's blog

Syndication

Generic Content

As a recently awarded Kinect MVP, I am lucky enough to have one of the rare pre-production units of the next Kinect for Windows sensor with me. I always thought that the original Kinect sensor was an amazing piece of technology, but this new version is a huge step forward. I created a quick video to show you the difference between the RGB and depth sensing technology of the two devices. Without further ado, here is the video – check it out, and let me know in the comments what else you would like to see!

Posted Dec 28 2013, 08:13 PM by vbandi
Filed under:

Comments

Bernard wrote re: Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors
on Tue, Jan 14 2014 23:41

Does the Kinect V2 support "near mode", for imaging at 40cm distance? Do you know what the depth resolution is at this distance?

Thanks

vbandi wrote re: Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors
on Wed, Jan 15 2014 0:11

Kinect v2 does not need a near mode - as you saw in the video, it's range starts almost at the same point as the Kinect v1 with near mode. I don't know specific resolutions, and since the current sensor and software is pre-release, they may change.

JFGom wrote re: Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors
on Wed, Jan 15 2014 1:38

Hi, if possible I would like to see a comparison of Kinect1 and Kinect2 running Kinect Fusion, scanning the same object. Thanks for the video!

sai wrote re: Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors
on Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:20

sir , could you please suggest me how to connect a kinect to pc windows 7 and how to operate the kinect after its connection for different applications like skeleton tracking,capturing an image etc..

vbandi wrote re: Kinect v1 vs Kinect v2 – RGB and Depth sensors